I love Thanksgiving. No let me correct myself. I love Thanksgiving Dinner. Its real comfort food – Vata-grounding heavy dishes like warming sweet potato mash, roasted root veggies and everything creamy, stewed and swaddled in sauce.
But unfortunately for me, one of my favorite Thanksgiving staples is Pumpkin Pie. As a person who is sensitive to dairy its a real tragedy. Last year I even risked it and ate a slice anyway – which of course resulted in a puffy, pale nauseous Kristen (not a vision of Holistic Vanity!).
So this year I want to give a dairy-free, gluten-free option a whirl. After some searching, I found this great recipe on Elana’s Pantry. I like it because it doesn’t use canned pumpkin or soy and looks super easy!
Maybe this’ll be another thing to be thankful for…a delicious treat!
Vegan Gluten Free Pumpkin Custard
½ cup (raw) cashews
1 tablespoon agar flakes
1 pinch celtic sea salt
1 ¼ cups water, boiling
1 ½ cups roasted pumpkin
¼ cup agave nectar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pinch ground cloves
¼ teaspoon lemon zest
1. Place cashews, agar and salt in a Vitamix/blender and process to a fine powder
2. Pour boiling water into Vitamix/ blender and process on high speed
3. Add pumpkin, agave and vanilla and process again until smooth
4. Blend in cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and lemon zest
5. Pour custard into ramekins or half cup mason jars
6. Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes
Makes 6 servings