Right now I’m in New York City preparing for the next three days at The New Life Expo. To you, this may sound fun, to me, I know it’ll be close to ten hour days on my feet, and end with my facial muscles hurting from smiling so hard. And as much as I love educating people at trade shows, I know it profoundly depletes my energy. I will be in need of a good healthy dose of ojas.
Ojas, in Ayurveda, means vigor
Its a tough concept to understand, but essentially it is the fluid of life. Ojas is similar to blood plasma and the liquids from our reproductive organs – and when our ojas is low (mostly at times of stress or long term taxation), these fluids also decrease. Ojas is very important for our well-being, and has also been referred to as our “sap”. When we are depleted and therefore become depleted of ojas, we become dehydrated, dry, delicate, infertile, inflexible, weak…and hella signs of aging! Libido dwindles and the body is tired. We lose our mojas?
Milk is very similar to in quality to ojas, and is why it is deemed so nourishing. But as a person who cannot eat or drink dairy, I need to find alternatives. This is why I love almond milk – it can offer the same qualities, in packed with protein and with the right recipe, restores ojas. Below is a wonderful recipe recommended by Banyan Botanicals for an ojas increasing spiced almond milk. I’m gonna need a cuppa this when I get home!
Healing Recipe: Non-dairy Ojas Drink to increase your reserve of vital strength
Courtesy of Banyan Botanicals’ Alakananda Ma (no relation!)
• 10 raw almonds
• 2 cups pure water
• 20 raisins
• 1 tsp ghee (rejuvenative)
• 1/3 tsp saffron (digestion enhancer & rejuvenative)
• 1/8 tsp ground cardamom (digestion enhancer)
• pinch of black pepper (to balance kapha)
1. Soak almonds in 1 cup of water overnight. In the morning, drain off the almond water and rub the skin off the almonds.
2. Soak raisins in 1 cup of water overnight or for several hours
3. In a blender, combine the raisins AND their soaking water. the peeled almonds, ghee, saffron, cardamom, black pepper. Blend until smooth.